Are you considering a gemstone engagement ring in Hatton Garden as opposed to a diamond one? Diamond rings have traditionally been very closely associated with engagements, but gemstone engagement rings have attracted a sizeable following in recent years. So, what are the pros and cons of buying a gemstone engagement ring?
Gemstone engagement ring advantages
- Gemstones are available in a range of exquisite colours, each of which has its own individual character. The most popular are arguable the blue of the sapphire, the red of the ruby and the green of the emerald.
- Gemstones are less conventional than the traditional diamond engagement ring. This has led to them becoming a trend over the last few years.
- Though some gemstones lack the necessary hardness for wearing daily, a sapphire or ruby ring has excellent durability. This is great for engagement rings.
- Gemstones usually have a lower cost per carat than diamonds, meaning a larger stone may be available for your money. However, there are some gemstones that are even more expensive than diamonds, including certain emeralds, sapphires, rubies, garnets or alexandrite.
Gemstone engagement ring disadvantages
- Certain gemstones are too structurally weak for the daily usage that an engagement ring demands. Rubies, sapphires and emeralds are usually durable enough, as is topaz, but you will still need to be more careful than with diamonds. A solid setting in sturdy platinum or 18K gold is important to increase the durability of the ring.
- Stones like opal, garnet and pearls are too soft, brittle or sensitive to be used in engagement rings for daily use.
- If tradition is important to you, gemstones are not the classic option for engagement rings. Diamonds have many meanings to many people, often associated with the commitment and union that comes with engagement.
Considerations for gemstones in engagement rings
There are many rings that feature a combination of diamonds and gemstones. It’s important to know that inclusions lower the quality of a diamond but add to the characteristics of a gemstone. This type of design can also result in a very aesthetically pleasing design, so it is worth considering if the character is an important factor in your engagement ring.
The main points to bear in mind are that gemstones are usually less expensive than diamonds, but they are also less durable. You need to weigh up factors like your budget, preferences for the style of the ring, the importance of tradition and the likelihood that the ring might be damaged. The top choices for gemstone engagement rings, as mentioned, are sapphire, ruby and emerald.
If you are struggling with the decision, the best advice is to head to a jeweller and see some rings in person. It can help you get an idea of what you want and you can ask questions about things like the stones, precious metals and settings.
We are leading jewellers in Hatton Garden and we are happy to help you by answering any questions you may have. Come on down and take advantage of our jewellery expertise to help you find the gemstone or diamond engagement ring of your dreams.